Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Classiest "I've Been Fired" Letter Ever!

Fact: No matter what anyone says, no-one likes being called out - and no-one and I mean no-one likes admitting defeat, let alone complete failure.
 
Fact: Andrew Mason's "I've Been Fired" Letter which came across my desk yesterday was the classiest I've ever read. And you're speaking so someone (moi) whose spent his entire career in corporate communications.

The letter's at http://wapo.st/Y4YTdS

Anyway, there's a few things I'm going to point out ---

1.       He opens with "People of Groupon" - I like that. It's friendly - informal. None of this "Dear Employees" or "Honored Partners" - Andrew's kept away from the flowery.  He's friendly.  Sounds like one-of-them --- a team player, even in his demise.

2.       He's jocular - saying that he's liked to spent more time with his family - yeah right. He's 32. It sets the tone for reality. And then he goes on to say the real reason why he's going. He was fired. That simple.

3.       He  is honest. No-one liked to admit they were fired. And he says it as simply as one could --- "I was fired today." And furthermore he says why we was fired. And guess what - he deserved it. And here's the kicker! He takes responsibility - full responsibility. It wasn't the team's fault. Political unrest in some part of the world was not to blame either and nor was Obama's fiscal policies or a weakening of the economy. He says, "As CEO, I'm accountable."  There's no BS here.

4.       He goes on to compliment his (now former) team. "You are doing amazing things at Groupon, and you deserve the outside world to give you a second chance." and continues by saying, "I’m getting in the way of that."   In  that words he's saying that while he did the best he could have, it still wasn't good enough --- and again he takes full responsibility, clearly wishing the company only good things.  

5.       He compliments his board - this is the very board that canned him. He goes on to say, "The board is aligned behind the strategy we’ve shared over the last few months" -and this is important too. What this says to shareholders is that the dissention (to the extent there even is any) is at a minimum --- at least it appears that way.

6.       In the next paragraph he says that he loved Groupon. Now while this may be gentle PR speak for "Groupon - you go get lost now that you've canned me", I somehow believe this guy that he really loves Groupon - and while likely of little comfort to the company's shareholders, many of whom have been skinned alive on this poor investment, I still think his heart's in the right place.

7.       In the final paragraph he acknowledges he lost sight of the customer - Business 101. And it's clear he regrets it.

8.       He ends with, "I will miss you terribly. Love, Andrew" I don't think these endearing words have ever been at the end of an "I've-just-been-fired-letter" - And these words are simple. Powerful. Awe inspiring. 

I've spent the best part of a quarter century in corporate communications.  I’ve drafted resignation letter by the dozen.  I’ve also drafted “Ive-just-been-fired-letters as well --- and none of which come close to the class of Mason’s letter. 

Now for all I know some genius PR person could have drafted this letter - the contents of which are a crock. True or not, I think this is the classiest letter ever. You?

2 comments:

Earl Lum said...

Everyone always says some BS about pursuing other opportunities or spending more time with the family. Why don't they all say this because it is always the case and everyone knows it too. It is a stupid game the Board plays with people. At least he was honest about it.

theLunchLady said...

My first reaction was that Groupon was lucky to have a guy like him at the helm , despite the grief he must have brought to many investors as a result of his decisions.
You cannot help but like him and even want to make excuses for what happened and see him succeed next time..
When you think about it and how quick we usually are to condemn CEOs for failing their organizations.. this is quite a feat
Of course, there was not mention of his severance..