Friday, February 22, 2013

Ummm - here's what's on my mind

There’s a few things on my mind this morning, that I want to get off my mind – and what better forum could I choose than my blog.  After all – it is my blog.  It’s also a non-intrusive medium that’s designed to be short, sweet and to-the-point.   

1.        Email’s the communications tool of choice these days – or so it seems.  I have no problem with that.  It’s fast, easy, and effective.  That said, I still get my fair share of phone calls – and I like that too.  However, in the past week I’ve gotten no less than 3 phone calls that began like this, “Umm – hi John … my name’s [fill in the blank].  You don’t know me, but I wanted to pick your brain for a few minutes.”   Now make no mistake, I love helping people.  Check – I go out of my way to help people – far out of my way and spend way too much time doing so.  But at least get to know me first (and pretend to be interested) before you ask to pick my brain.  It should also be said, that while I know I am smart – I’m not the smartest guy in the world – and therefore picking my brain may not be the best thing to pick.  But seriously, asking me to pick my brain without establishing some sort of connection with me is like asking me “Hey John, can I use you for a few minutes”.  Umm – that would be a negative – good buddy.

2.       Crap happens – so always be prepared for the unexpected.  One of my associates slipped on the ice yesterday outside his house.  Poor innocent guy broke his leg.  He was probably doing a good deed for someone, lost his footing and boom.  Broken leg.  Why him and not me, I ask.  Well, there’s no reason at all.  Perhaps he was unlucky, or simply was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Be that as it may, I think the lessons to be learned here are twofold.  No explanation needed.
a.       Be prepared for the unexpected
b.      Never take anything for granted

3.       It was my birthday the week before last.  And I think that one’s birthday is a good time (better than any) for a little bit of self-reflection.  Hadda party.  Had friends and family over.  It was a blast.  I am very grateful for everything that I have.  See 2b above. 

4.       I’m jewish and proud of it.  I learn a little – not that I am enlightened or anything high-falutin like that, but I think I know a little more than your average garden-variety of jew (so-to-speak).  Last night I learned that there are three (and only three) things in the Shulchan Aruch (Code of Jewish Law) that explicitly states that you cannot do backwards – the shema, hallel and the megillah.  Not to get overly technical or prophetic, but from that I learned that everything has an order for a reason – and while spontaneity can be (and very often is) good, it’s not a signal to do whatever the hell you want. 

5.       Listen.  Listen again.  And then listen again.  Let’s face it – we all sell all the time.  Whether I’m trying to convince my kids that taking the garbage out is a good idea of whether my life insurance guy is trying to sell me a new policy, it’s the same.  Listen before you speak.   That way, you’ll be better prepared to recommend an appropriate course of action or solution.  I promise – it works everytime.   Oh, and that’s also why G-d gave us two ears and one mouth.

6.       In other news, I’m psyched.  I am going to see Rodriguez in New York City.  Me and a bunch of buddies are going April 7.  He’s playing The Beacon Theatre – which coincidentally was where I saw Wham in 1983.  Remember them?
 
Spring’s coming.  We’re getting about 90 seconds more light every day and I’m happy.  Have a good day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Intelligent and savvy- well worth reading

Michelle said...

Johnny,
It's always a pleasure to read your blog. A very belated happy birthday to you and wishing you all the best this year!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff ........amusing, interesting and some good advice.
Thx