Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Ve'ahavta - Now Here's A Charity That Get's It!

This past Sunday, I were privileged to go to “Starry Nights 2011”, Ve’ahavta’s Tikun Olam (Repairing the World) Ceremony. I actually volunteered to be a part of the flash mob – and so attended the ceremony and the dessert banquet that followed. Wow!

As a PR and marketing expert, I’ve seen a lot, travelled a lot and done a lot – and without sounding blasé there is not a lot in this world that wows me. It’s just how it is. This event wowed me from the instant it started. And not only did it wow me, but everyone I have spoken to since, was blown away too.

You know, I am always on the lookout when it comes to learning. I find it improves me. Improves me as a father. Improves me as a husband. Improves me as an entrepreneur and improves me as a person. We’ll this event accomplished all of that and more.

Here’s what I learned:

1. Have fun: Face it, there are often times (maybe even most times) where your work is simply not fun. Problem is that seldom does one even try to make it fun. These guys at Ve’ahavta know how to have fun. Fundraising to feed starving (and in many cases homeless people) is neither fun nor glamorous, but the people at Ve’ahavta no doubt are having fun. They make it fun. Everyday. Avrum Rosensweig (the charity’s Peter Frampton-esque President) has this infectious, impish smile that you just cannot not love) – and his infectious happiness travels all the way down to every one of the organization’s employees

2. Be funny and stay funny: This goes hand in hand with having fun. So who does the charity get to be MC for the evening, (just for the record, last year was none other than Sir Bob Geldof --- See my picture with Sir Bob below.), Jian Ghomeshi, host and co-creator of the national daily talk program Q, on CBC Radio. Jian’s of Iranian descent and made no pretence of it. Jian’s also an ardent friend of the Jews – and despite the cultural and political differences between Jews and Iranians (and trust me they are big), he was side-splittingly hilarious. I am talking like off-the-planet hilarious – and everyone played off of this hilarity, making for a light-hearted and fun evening






3. You gotta give to get: Ve’ahavta is a charity – and like pretty much every charity out there, money cannot be flowing. But they so realize you gotta give back to your donors to get them to give – and in today’s dollar-store-mentality economy, when everyone wants champagne at beer prices --- it’s really refreshing. Yeah, Ve’ahavta could have gotten some cheesy food (that may have even be expected), but they didn't. They went all out, hiring Toronto’s finest kosher caterers – and they did it in perfect style. In other words, they went above and beyond. They did the unexpected. And that makes people smile even more

4. Have your staff be your ambassadors: A biggie and sadly is so often ignored. Yeah, so what, I did volunteer for the flash mob – no big deal (50 other people volunteered for it as well) – but I felt special. I really did. And guess what? When you make people feel special, they give a lot more than they would if they did not feel special. No names mentioned, but several of the organization’s staffers came over to me, (including one with THE coolest last name in the world --- you know who you are) introduced herself, said hi and thanked me for my support. And trust me, it’s not like I give thousands of dollars to this cause. They made me feel special, just because. And I like that a lot.

On a side note, it's noteworthy to mention that Petroff Gallery was one of the award sponsors for the evening

Ve’ahavta is a Canadian humanitarian and relief organization, motivated by the Jewish value of Tzedakah (Justice), that assists the needy at home and abroad, through volunteerism, education, and acts of kindness, while building bridges between Jews and other peoples. They’re always looking for volunteers. Call them at (416) 964-7698. Tell them that you want to have fun and give.

Disclosure: Petroff Gallery is a client and I do not have any financial or beneficial interest in Ve’ahavta

5 comments:

vicky weiss said...

I have known Avrum for years and indeed he does great work.
You can now follow them on twitter!!
I connected @ChickyMara to live tweet throughtout the event, and she was totally inspired by their work.

Shawna Meshwork Goodman said...

Jonny, you could not have said it better. You summed up all of my feelings in one blog. Check out the pics! www.facebook.com/Veahavta

Rick N. said...

- photo with Bob Geldof.... impressive
- Supporting a worthwhile cause..... very impressive
- Seeing Jonny wearing a tie..... priceless

Carolyn Tucker said...

Beautifully written Jonny.What great praise for this amazing organization and yes they are all that and more.
It's not just the staff who are ambassador's.It's the volunteers as well and this type of message is key to it all.
I actually am an ambassador for Ve'ahavta so if you know anyone who wants more information,you can pass them on to me.
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and awesome dancing.Stay tuned for the you tube video!!

Louise Armstrong said...

It sounds like a magical evening and it's amazing what can happen when you make "fun" a priority. So many brands and organizations shy away from having fun because the cause is sombre or their brand is serious but that shouldn't prevent them from celebrating. And yes, taking the time to thank supporters makes them feel special and keeps them engaged. A small thing but so often overlooked.