Thursday, December 8, 2011

It’s Time To Celebrate Our Differences

You know every year at this time, people seem to be filled with more goodwill than say in July. The year is winding down, new projects are put on hold until the New Year, and people generally seem to be a little nicer to one another. Good.

But the thing that gets my goat is this whole political correctness crap which has gone way too far. It’s now called happy holidays. G-d forbid you wish someone “Happy Christmas” and they’re Jewish. Or “Happy Chanukah”, only to find out they’re Muslim. G_d forbid they’ll get offended. Well, let me tell you something --- I am getting offended with people who get offended over nothing.

Santa Claus has been banned from the Eaton Centre in Toronto (breaking a more than 100-year old tradition) because some people (obviously in the minority) got offended. Ohh, poleeease! Get a life!

You see, at the year end, celebrating our differences is a good thing – and I don’t care what religion you are. Practise your religion. And practise it in peace without foisting it on others. Let me explain a little.

I am Jewish. And I am proudly Jewish. Have been and always will be. I don’t celebrate Christmas, Kwanza or any other year end holiday except Chanukah. And I don’t make a big deal of that. Most people I know, (clients or friends) know that I am Jewish and therefore wish me Happy Chanukah. Fine. And if I am wished Happy Christmas, Happy Kwanza or anything else, I’m grateful, and thank the person for their thoughts, politely saying something like, “Thanks for the wishes. Appreciate that – however I do the Chanukah thing”. And they’re good with that and so am I. We’re all entitled to celebrate what we want. Live and let live.

Do I get offended because they wished me a good holiday that I don’t observe. No – and that’s because I have a brain. A working brain. And I celebrate the fact that I can celebrate Chanukah, while others can celebrate whatever they celebrate at this time of year. It’s simple.

Here in North America, more people celebrate Christmas than any other year end observance combined – so that has tended to be the default – and that makes sense. That’s also why more people wish other people Merry Christmas than anything. Great.

So, if you happen to celebrate say Kwanza and get wished “Happy Chanukah” and get offended, or celebrate Chanukah and get wished “Happy Christmas” or any aforementioned permutation, and you get offended, “Good”. Wallow in your misery alone.

I’ve spent the past 16 years of my life in public and media relations --- so if there’s anyone who knows the art of being politically correct, that would be me – but it’s reached ridiculous levels. Sorry if I am appearing right wing here – but it’s just that I feel this political correctness has gone a little far.

And if there’s anyone out there that wants to wish me Happy “you-fill-in-the-dots” --- I’ll happily say thanks.

Peace! Whatever you celebrate.

6 comments:

Maor Daniel said...

John, well written and I could not agree with you more. What makes Canada great is the people and choices so having the courtesy to wish someone should never be criticised, especially when done in good faith.

Martin Waxman said...

Great perspective, John. We live in a society where we tend to make everything about ourselves and have the luxury of time to get offended by good wishes. It's time to be a bit more open and accept good wishes in the spirit in which they're intended.

Jeremy Green said...

A wonderful entry John and I feel EXACTLY the same way.

How could i be offended by anybody wishing me a happy ANYTHING! It clearly means something to them, so in that spirit I am grateful if not slightly honoured to receive it.

So I wish you both a Merry Christmas AND a Happy Chanukah to you and yours!

Michael Ritter said...

John, I appreaciated this blog and want to wish you and your family happy Chanukah and to everyone else, happy holidays.

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

Happy Chanukah :)

Ora Stebben RHN, NNCP said...

First of all, I like the apples in your logo:) I agree with most of your points. If someone is gracious enough to wish you a Happy anything, you be gracious enough to accept it. I don't think people offend on purpose by wishing you the wrong thing! I have had people wish me Happy Christmas and Ive responded with, "Thanks so much. For me, its Happy Chanuka:)" Because I'm proud to be a Jew!