Sunday, August 22, 2010

The devil's in the details

So last night my wife and I went to Ruth’s Chris (Downtown Toronto) for pre-dinner cocktails. It has been years since I had been to a Ruth’s Chris, but I was excited in a strange way.

My wike (Karen) ordered a strawberry Margarita and I ordered a wheat beer.

“A wheat beer?” retorted the chipper, an about a 19-year-old bartender. “No I don’t think we have wheat beer”.

“You don’t have any wheat beers? Blue Moon? Hoegardern or Rickards White, or any other white beers”, I asked incredulously.

“Nope, sorry, but we do have red beers” – anyway, I settled for a Carlsberg, which was just fine.

Now back to Karen’s Margarita. When you are paying $10.95 for a cocktail, before tax and tip, you expect it to be just right. Make no mistake, it was delicious. But. But. But. You gotta use margarita salt to rim the glass. Plain table salt will just not cut it. And it makes a bug difference.

So, why this posting. PR is like high-end drinking. The devil’s in the details and missing a detail like margarita salt at a high end restaurant like Ruth’s Chris is unforgivable.

Oh, yes, we did split an $11.95 appetizer – mozzarella and beefsteak tomatoes, which was delicious and worth its steep price.

No comments: