Tuesday, April 27, 2021

Reflections: Lockdown

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. We’re in lockdown again, stuck at home. Sucks! No question - the last 18 months (or so) have been nothing short of tumultuous as COVID19 has ravaged the globe. 

I had an insightful conversation with a pharmacist friend, we discussed the significant toll the pandemic has taken on mental health. Mental illness rates have skyrocketed since last March, prescriptions quadrupling.  


But I am grateful to talk about what brings me so much joy, especially in times like this. Read below! 

  1. Music. Life without music would be unbearable and unlivable. How miraculous it is that I hit the play button on my phone, and seconds later, sounds of music hit my brain, register in my brain, and please me - no end. Nothing better than sitting back and listening to classic rock. Within milliseconds I am overcome with joy. How miraculous is that? I pinch myself in amazement. 

  2. My relationship with G-d. I am not going to pretend that I am religious, just keep a kosher home, stick to dairy-only out.  (Remember when we used to go out for an occasional dinner?). We keep a strictly kosher home, which I am not willing to bend on. Be that as it may – I know who G-d is, what he wants from me, what I want from him, and how to relate to him. Sorry social justice warriors, I still refer to G-d as masculine.  I may be wrong, but whether G-d is male or female doesn’t make a difference to me. 

  3. My health. Yup, I am now closer to 60 than I am to 50. Unfortunately, ageing is inevitable, but I am grateful every day for my excellent health, am addicted to nothing, and live a normal life. Yeah, I could lose a few pounds, who couldn’t? I do recognize how lucky I am to be healthy. 

  4. Love. I have an abundance. I am so grateful every day for all the love I give, but more importantly, all of the love I get without having to ask. I’ve got an awesome wife with whom I’ve been married for 27 years. We have two great children who are finding their own ways with our counsel. We have given them the foundation to lead productive and happy lives. Despite having emigrated 32 years ago, I am grateful that both my mom and dad, brother, and sister all live within a 10-minute drive from one another. How remarkable is that?

  5. Physical fitness. Going hand in hand with health, I love being active. Despite being in isolation for some 18 months, I am lucky to have an at-home gym where I spin with Fern, my faithful teacher of 8 years and AdlerFitness --- we have the technology, I can crank up the music in my house, sing and shout, while I spin with my mic on mute, and rid myself of all my tensions. 

  6. Career. They say that you won’t work a day in your life if you love what you do, and although I work some 60 hours a week every week, it often feels as though I don't work at all. How lucky am I to enjoy that? 

  7. Nature. “Oh shit,”
    I said to myself last Wednesday when I saw in my yard our gorgeous blooming magnolia tree with snow. It's not up to me to figure these things out, why we get snow in the third week of April, or how a magnolia tree blossoms. Both these concepts are above my pay grade. But I couldn't help but admire the beautiful juxtaposition that hit my eyes, gorgeous. 


I could ramble on all day, but that’s not my style. For now, I want to sit back, revel in all that I have with huge gratitude.  


Disclosure:  I am not compensated by AdlerFitness


No comments: