Saturday, December 5, 2015

It's All About How You Play The Game

I'm proud of the role sport's plays in my life, and as I approach 50, so sports' role becomes increasingly important.  More importantly for me though is the spirit sport embodies. 

I'm at the gym 4 times a week.  Do I love working out?  Sometimes yes.  Mostly no.  In other words, I'm likely the average middle-aged (but in good-shape) garden-variety kind of guy.  I hustle to get to the gym, hustle while I work out (mostly classes) and then I shuffle to my car and then home.  It's my routine four times a week.

My favorite class is Fern's 8:30am spin class. I rarely oversleep, however today I did.  Jumped out of bed at 8:18am, threw on my ratty shorts and shirt, jumped in the car and was at the class at 8:34, (I even skipped my coffee-in-the-car ritual to make the class).

Alas, every bicycle was taken, (I was late ...DUH). I shrugged my shoulders and headed out the door thinking I would have been better off staying in bed a while longer. Fern noticed my shrugged shoulders, jumped off her bicycle and insisted I take hers.  Huh?

Figuring that I'd busted my derriere to get there, I took Fern's bicycle and enjoyed her awesome class.  Pretty normal!  But there's a few things on my mind

1.  Yeah, I made a lot of effort to get to the class --- Fern made way (an order of magnitude) more effort in surrendering her bicycle for my benefit.  I call it teamwork.

2.  In seconds, Fern turned my disappointment into happiness.  No words were spoken.  It's what good spirited sports people do.  This is what sport is about.

3.  At the classes' end, I could see Fern's happiness knowing she'd enabled me to participate.  Again - It's what good spirited sports people do.  This is what sport is about.

You know, every 2 years I watch the Olympic Games (summer and winter). 

Today's Games are more and more circus-like. They're not as much about sporting excellence or sportsmanship as much as they're about politics, money, religion and holly-wooding, and I can't help but think Olympians of old would be turning in their graves in disgust at the charade the games have become.

Make no error, Fern's spinning class is no Olympiad, (and I'm no Olympian either.  Just sayin').  By Fern having surrendered her bicycle is a huge deal. Again - It's what good spirited sports people do.  This is what sport is about.

And I can't help but think the Olympians of old are sagely smiling down on Fern today thanking her for respecting what sport is all about.  I just hope the Fern's of this world will be in Rio next year for the 2016 Summer Olympics. 

Fern - Thank You

1 comment:

Rick said...

Jonny,
I guess you were green with envy looking at Fern`s bike. Glad to see you turned over a new leaf with your working out!