Thursday, December 13, 2012

A Welcome Improvement to Toronto's Kosher Landscape

The Burger Guy at Goldburger's
No question, the food industry is a tough one --- places spring up and close before they’ve had a chance.  Sentiments change like the wind changes direction and more importantly, speak to any restaurateur and they’ll tell you indeed how hard it is to make money.  I believe it!

A year ago, Toronto’s kosher community spiraled into a flap as a result of my blog post.  It was a harsh review, but it was the truth.  I write what I see, taste and hear.  Period.  I did not apologize then and I won’t apologize now (based on the many angry emails I received - I know I offended many) – but the reality was my entire experience at said establishment sucked.   Looks like Toronto’s kosher places took me seriously as generally kosher food places here have vastly improved since then. 

Even harder than running a regular restaurant is running a kosher one:
  1. The price of kosher food, especially meat is almost double the cost of non-kosher food.  Eating kosher, while the law – is not a cheap one in terms of money - to which to adhere
  2. Kosher restaurants are closed some 75 days a year – in other words, they pay rent for 365 days, but are only open for about 290 days.  The results can be catastrophic – you run the numbers
  3. The percentage of Jews who only eat kosher runs about 3%.  Figure in North America there are  some six million jews – meaning there are only some 180,000 that care for kosher food --- the audience is miniscule – and maybe even shrinking.  This augurs particularly poorly for kosher restaurant operators

Burgy Goldburger’s Burger Bar.  Located in north-west Toronto (7000 Bathurst Street) is in a large, yet non-descript strip plaza.  Offers real good – and I mean real-good value for money.   The food is damn tasty too.  I was there an hour or so ago.  Picked up 2 burgers and 1 regular fries for $11.32 (tax included) for my wife and daughter.   I brought it home – they ate and enjoyed (and they’re picky eaters).

Ronnie the boss greets me with a smile.  Nice guy - he’s a friend of a friend of mine.  We gabbed a few minutes as we always do – shot the breeze.  Ronnie’s eating a burger (I presume his dinner) while we chatted – telling me that he’s opening up another burger store.    I think the’s doing it right.  I think he understands fast food – and I think he understands the kosher business too.

He introduces me to the guy he’s sitting next to.  He’s eating dinner as well – I guess they were having some sort of business meeting.  His name is Chris.  And he’s Ronnie’s newest partner– joining him from Mi Vami – a well known Toronto non-kosher middle-eastern restaurant where he was a chef.   Ronnie tells me his newest spot is set to open in January.  It’s not going to be an eat in place – but will do delivery and take out only.   Mediterranean food.  All glatt kosher
 
I hope Ronnie (and the other kosher restaurant operators) bear the following tenets in mind:

  •         Keep your pricing reasonable
  •             The food is important – but so is the overall experience
  •              Smile – make your customers welcome and give great service
Ronnie’s newest expansion idea is a good one, I think - and well needed in Toronto’s kosher community.   Only time will tell.

Disclosure:  I do not receive remuneration of any sort from any food establishment

No comments: