Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Long-term Friendships Have Their Benefits


I’m a marketer - and like all astute marketers, I place great importance on relationships. It’s what keeps guys like me going.  Not only can relationships be good for the pocket-book, but far more importantly, they can be particularly good for the heart.  

Yesterday, I saw a story out of Florida, about a Joseph Katz and an Al Spiegal.  I’ve never heard of either guy - but their story’s really cool.  You see, just last week, not only did each celebrate their 100th birthdays, but they celebrated 91-years of being best friends.  Remarkable.  I know!

"We've been friends since we were 10-years-old. We both went to the same elementary school and we graduated from that same elementary school. We worked together for the same company and we kept our friendship together," Katz said.  


Katz and Spiegal, both originally from Brooklyn, New York, held their joint birthday partyat Inverrary Diner near their homes in Florida. Speigal's actual birthday was on August 26th, but he waited until his best friend's centennial celebration on September 29th to celebrate.  How’s that for being a gentleman!


"We could not wait. We've been dying for this, even before my son was born my grandfather told us he couldn't wait until 2012," Katz's granddaughter, Melissa Teger, 42, said.  "I'd say, 'Why Grandpa?' And he'd say, 'Because I'm going to be 100.' That was the driving force to keep him healthy and happy the last couple of years."

Remarkable!

I’m in my mid-forties.  I enjoy awesome relationships.  I count among my closest friends today my closest junior and high-school friends from Johannesburg.  There’s Peter G, Rob S, Howard S, Barry L, Dion J, Michael R, Hilton K and Mark N.  And although we’re now all scattered across North America, there’s nothing that any of those guys wouldn’t do for me or I wouldn’t do for them.    No question, old friendships run really deep.  In fact, they’re irreplaceable.

Let’s face it - we’re all busy no matter what we do.  As we age, we all have our issues to deal with - kids, health, finances, marriages, parents - you get the picture - and if we fail to make time for our friends, they’ll fail to make time for us.  Guaranteed.

Over the years, I’ve realized that we’re generally very bad at keeping in touch - this despite the fact that it’s easier than ever before.  And had Joseph and Al never kept in touch with none another, they certainly would never have enjoyed the party they did.  Perhaps one or neither would have even lived until 100.

Katz, who has 12 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren, shared his secrets to a long life:

 "You don't reach 100 just like this. With your body, you've got to use it, not abuse it. Live the right kind of life. Take care of yourself," he said. "Eat the right kind of food. Don't smoke. Don't touch alcohol. Go ride a bike. Go ballroom dancing. Keep occupied and you'll make it."

He’s right. His last point --- "Keep occupied and you’ll make it" being "spot on!"
  
The bottom line’s clear - no-one is on this earth forever and everything good (or even bad) must and will come to an end. 

 The devil finds work for the idle. Everytime.  Bored? Nothing to do? At a loose end? Yeah, you can watch paint dry or bet on two roaches climbing the wall, or crash at the idiot box (something too many of us do) --- but that thinking’s going to kill you.
  
Do something good. Keep occupied. Keep in touch with someone.  It’s better for you (and every study’s proven that). You’ll be glad you did and maybe - just maybe - you’ll live longer. Or you can follow Katz’ last piece of advice - "Just keep breathing, that's the secret to my longevity."

Follow his ways or mine. You choose. Either way - live a long and happy life.  Just like Joseph and Al.  Now do something useful - reach out to an old friend.  Just say "Hi, how are ya"

Peace!


1 comment:

Andrew C. said...

Great as always John. I really enjoyed this.

Best,

Andrew