Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Here's someone else who get's it

Someone else who gets it is Nortel's Chief Marketing Officer - Lauren Flaherty. Why?

Simple ... she's an entrepreneur! And that's what's needed today, especially at Nortel. Make no mistake,I am a shareholder in Nortel - and have dollar-cost averaged down in recent years. I have stuck with the company through its turmoils.

After having spent 26 years at IBM, clearly in a very senior position (Vice President, Worldwide Marketing for small and medium businesses), she left ... and made a bold move to struggling Nortel. This is to be respected.

Lauren saw parallels between Nortel and IBM and is a builder at heart. Again,this is what Nortel needs in a chief marketing officer.

Lauren is firing on all cylinders to breathe life into Nortel and is honest about it. In a recent interview, Lauren was asked how far along she is in revitalizing the Nortel brand. Her answer ..."On our way". I love that!

She's guardedly optimistic and dare I say realistic. Additionally, Lauren is not looking to outspend her larger competitors, she's looking to execute better - and that's a key that large companies often miss ... they think throwing big bucks at marketing is the way to go. I think not!
In a recent interview she said "... when I go into a market I want to go in with full force. I want to go in with my sales team fully enabled, my channel partners fully enabled and engaged, and every cylinder of the marketing engine firing: PR, marketing communications, direct, events, basically a consolidated hit into a focused market."

I love this approach!

Lauren in a world of big talk, I like your style and wish more marketing people thought like you.
Continued success!

No comments: